Tuesday, May 4, 2010

100 Strangers: Babu and Khan

Meet Babu and Khan.  I met them at the tire shop where I took the reflection photos posted on Friday.  Both of them volunteered to have their pictures taken.  (What a relief.  I have no trouble talking to strangers, but I find it really hard asking if I can take a picture).  Khan made me promise not to ask him to smile.  Babu is from a village near Karachi, Pakistan and is Khan's nephew.  Prior to coming here a year ago, he studied technical engineering at a Christian school in Karachi.  Babu grew up knowing that his uncle was sponsoring him for a visa.  It took 13 years of waiting before it was granted.  Hard as it must have been, he says he did not give up hope about this long journey.  I can only imagine how difficult a transition it must be given how different our cultures are.  Nonetheless, Babu is happy he's here and seems to have a positive outlook.  There was so much more I would have liked to know about both of them; but after all, they were at work.  And the shop was really busy.  It was a pleasure meeting both of these guys.

11 comments:

  1. That really was a long wait for Babu. Taking portraits at a tire shop sounds like fun, lots of reflective surfaces to aim the camera at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great and genuine portraits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting story and nice tie-in with your Weekend Reflections photo.
    «Louis» read this with interest because Mme la Vache just received her permanent resident status.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting to us as we work with asylum seekers, refugees and immigrants part of our week. Reflections are great … and félicitations to Mme La Vache.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry no notes for a bit - new dimensions in over-scheduling here. I particularly like the left portrait. The rhythm with the wheels and his head, the silver of the wheels and stained blue of his shirt make for very good composition. By the way, your theme day post was a well made photograph - the angle and composition get my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great pictures, and great story ! Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the reflection shots you took in the shop but your story and photos are just fantastic. An immigration project thirteen years in the making. Coming from Pakistan of all places, whence the number of immigrants must be down to a trickle considering the suspicion of terrorism.

    Babu has such a wonderfully open face your portrait of him is really great.

    I also like that you mentioned that Khan made you promise not to ask him to smile. Respecting people in who they are is the key to good portraiture and good relationships, isn't it?

    Anyway this post shows the wonderful human encounters that can spring from a 100 strangers project.

    I haven't been able to bring myself to embark on it myself but I'd love to. Your post is an inspiration. I'll remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like these sharp shiny/blue shots and the friendly faces!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like these portraits and your story very much. It was your plaintive note on Virginia's blog about our Pasadena visit that drew me here. Come on down! Or I'll let you know when I'm in the Bay Area and beg you for an Oakland photo safari.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nicely done! Thanks for telling a bit of their story.

    ReplyDelete