Monday, February 20, 2012

Monday Mural: Dufwin Theater

The Dufwin Theater, located Uptown at 17th and Telegraph, was built in 1928 and adorned with these tile mosaics created by the local Gladding, McBean Company.  Two years later the theater was converted to a movie house and renamed the Roxie.  Somewhere along the way the murals were covered up and forgotten.  In 1983 the building was again renovated and turned into office spaces.  During the renovation the tile murals were uncovered and restored.  They appear to represent drama, dance, and music.
 If you like murals or have a mural you'd like to post, this meme's for you.  Just follow the Linky steps below.  You get to decide what constitutes a mural.  Be sure to link back to this blog and visit your fellow posters.  Looking forward to the mural finds posted this week.

18 comments:

  1. Yes, there are some pretty creative murals in KL... Lets hope I get the time from my lectures to shoot them !
    Like your posting of murals today !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It boggles the mind that someone would have covered up something so beautiful and that they would end up forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful discovery! I am so glad that they restored these beautiful murals. Great capture!
    Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 1983 renovation must have been a bit like an archaeological dig. Fancy being renamed 'The Roxie' after only two years. I agree: they are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a find, Carolyn - «Louis» did not know about these fine murals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Cover up for over half century. That's amazing. I wish I could have seen the look on the faces of the renovation crew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot even imagine why someone would think they needed to cover these murals up! Some people simply have no vision! WHat beautiful work these represent! Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful piece of municipal history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These just take my breath away. I have said it so many times, you are so lucky to live in a town that didn't tear down during the heyday of the 50's. Thank you for these, they made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pics of these murals. I only noticed them myself the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad they restored the murals, they are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful thing to discover these beauties and to have them in fairly good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superb! It combines tiles and murals, two things your blog has taught me are cornerstones of the visual environment in Oakland.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i dont think i could find something like that around here... (i wanted to add, haha)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I suppose you like Art Deco as much as I do. Gladly, I can enjoy every image you post of it.

    ReplyDelete