Saturday, November 27, 2010

footbridge over the creek

I decided to take a small street off Broadway to see where it lead.  Much to my surprise it turned into several woodland blocks where Glen Echo Creek runs above ground.  The sun was setting and I was barely able to capture workmen repairing a foot bridge over the creek.  The houses along this street are a funny mix of 1970s apartment buildings, and brown shingles from the early 1900s,  I couldn't believe that this quiet, rural setting still exists in our urban landscape.  In Sonoma County, maybe.  But Uptown Oakland?  For more bridges, visit «Louis'» Sunday Bridges series.

6 comments:

  1. What a discovery! «Louis» had no idea this exists off Broadway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun to veer off the beaten track?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely to discover the power of nature breaking through where you least expect it. I see the graffiti artists have visited before you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. enclaves such as this probably like being hidden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to discover a place that is in common view but by-passed, like this one. My photo from Monday is from a beautiful forested community that is right off the main street running from Hartford through to Farmington, yet no one goes there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the street I live on, and when I first discovered it, I was also shocked that it existed so close to downtown and right off Broadway. I love the neighborhood, and in the last week, the creek has sounded more like a river.

    ReplyDelete