Wednesday, June 1, 2011

ABC Wednesday: T is for turf dancing


This video is of an Oakland dance crew called Turf Feinz.  Turfing is a dance form developed in Oakland that to my eye looks like it has its roots in break dancing.  But you'll see it has new features including "bonebreakin'" and "tuttin'".  I first saw this video last summer on Gene's Our Oakland blog and was amazed at the agility and spontaneity expressed in this dance form.  In the fall the local paper ran an article that told the back story about their dance in the rain.  The dance occurs in East Oakland on the corner where their friend was killed by a hit and run driver the previous day.  A minute or so into the video you see two new dancers enter the scene.  Friends with no bus money, they ran half way across town to join the memorial dance.  This YouTube video has had almost 3 million hits.  To view it in a larger format, go here.  For more "T" posts, visit ABC Wednesday.

13 comments:

  1. I'm so not with it, evidently, never heard of this. but i like.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Roger, I am so not with this also, never heard of it, but like the others said it is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing and moving. The grace and agility of this dance crew Turf Feinz is fantastic. Breaks my heart they can't earn even enough to take a bus with this finely honed skill. Great T post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure I would be interested in watching this but it captivated me for the entire video. I wish I had some moves like that in me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very moving tribute to their friend, and they are quite talented too!
    Thanks for sharing.
    ***
    Hope you are having a nice and happy week****

    ReplyDelete
  6. A touching tribute, and an interesting dance form.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many different ways to express grief, - this was beautiful and graceful. Such agility!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful street theater. It's great that they're getting some of the recognition they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They can really move - I couldn't do that even when I could...:) Great post...

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow they sure can move !!

    ReplyDelete