Wednesday, August 24, 2011

ABC Wednesday: F is for ferry landing

The Oakland ferry to San Francisco is at the foot of Broadway at Jack London Square.  It runs hourly and the trip takes about 30 minutes.  Lots of folks commute to their SF jobs by ferry.  There also are ferries to AT&T Park during baseball season and summer ferries to Angel Island.  Before the bridges were built ferries were the only way to get to SF from the East and North bay.  As our car culture grew, the ferries more or less became novelties and often faced extinction.  After the big earthquake in 1989, the Oakland Bay Bridge was out of commission for a number of months and the use of ferries became essential and once again valued.  Be sure to visit ABC Wednesday for more "F" photos from around the globe.

17 comments:

  1. I love ferries and they are oh, so important!! Great shot! enjoy your week.
    f is for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of favorite of all your photo's. Love the old-ish look to it. And what a great neon sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This took me back to my childhood..

    Great F

    See you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love ferries too. used to take the Staten Island fery in NYC, and last year crossed Lake Champlain from VT to NY.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took this ferry once. Striking night image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No people at this ferry terminal... Not like the Star Ferry that crosses Hong Kong Harbour! Nice warm shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a special and great light in your picture I like very much. It is a lot of ferries in Norway, but not here in my town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks very fancy ferry landing area. I like the nighttime shot.

    ABC Wed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the night view, could even be titled last ferry. I always enjoy ferry journeys both short and long.
    Joy
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exceptional photo! Love these colors against the night sky. And thanks for taking the time to add the special vintage history sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice evening shot. It would be fun to take the ferry to the ballpark.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this great post of interest to me. I want to take my two grandsons on the ferry, and this was sure helpful. What beautiful lights you captured here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really cool shot! I've become addicted to night photography. :)

    ReplyDelete