Monday, August 29, 2011

Monday Mural: Cakeland

This mural is painted by Scott Hove on the side of his business called Cakeland at Shattuck Avenue and 56th St.  Silly me, I thought it was a bakery.  So wrong.  It's a gallery and workshop for art installations using fantasy cakes that cannot be eaten but you can "have" for as long as you desire.  The mural hints at the themes within.  At first glance it looks whimsical and cheerful.  If you look longer you'll start to see troubling or incongruent images and components that seem a little menacing.  That's what you get with the cake installations, and then some.  Peruse the link and you'll see what I mean.

9 comments:

  1. It does seem interesting and a tad bit creepy at the same time... I mean all those moving worms and the watching eyes, kinda makes me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee....
    What does he do? Put out leftover cakes from the Safeway bakery?
    Inedible in either case...
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it a bit disturbing. I wonder what the artist is trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it. The name would have thrown me off too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whimsical was my first thought too! I think I'll refrain from looking too closely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like it! Joan Miró just came to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first impression was, what fun... whimsical shapes and colors... and then I looked closer and got the heebie-jeebies. But then I'm not so fond of creepy crawlies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the place, thanks for turning me onto to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you show the best of the city, it's really good !

    ReplyDelete