Sunday, July 21, 2013

Monday Mural: O.K. Land

Last week I was driving down E. 8th Street and saw a crew painting a fence.  So of course I had to stop to take pictures and talk with the guys.  Meet Krash2 who is a member of TDK (Those Damn Kids) who organized the event.
Mostly they were "piecing"---writing their names on the fence in that wild font I can never read.  Even when I learned their names, they had to show me where the letters were.  Duh.  Krash2 painted the O.K. Land part of the fence and an adjoining bit that features Jack London and another historical figure.  He feels it's important to teach the younger guys more of local history.

They not only had permission to decorate the fence, the owner provided the paint.  Krash2 took a lot time with me and I thank him for the education.

If you like murals or have a mural you'd like to post, this meme's for you.  Just follow the Linky steps below.  You get to decide what constitutes a mural.  Be sure to link back to this blog and visit your fellow posters.  Looking forward to the mural finds posted this week.

I'll be out of town for a few days and will not be able to leave comments until the following week.

13 comments:

  1. Neat that you got a little bit of behind-the-scenes VIP treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting that you got to meet the artists and learn a little about them and their art. MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the education. I can never see the letters either, but I like the O.K.Land piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it is always great to meet the artists who made these murals. Thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see an artist who made this. Mostly the murals are anomynous, or only a cryptic signature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that adults who help kids are angels, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ALways good to talk to the people who paint on the walls...
    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice of them to spend time with you, most are so shy. I notice he left his mask on for the picture though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those murals. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great to have met the artist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky you! I think we could all learn to appreciate this 'art' more if we had the chance to learn something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's definitely neat to see a mural in the making. They have real talent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll bet they were really pleased to meet you. You are probably a legend in Oakland mural circles.

    ReplyDelete