Friday, October 4, 2013

the new eastern span

It's taken 24 years for the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge to finally open.  This shot is looking east to the Oakland hills.  The eastern side is no longer a double deck bridge and both directions of traffic now have breakdown lanes that will hopefully reduce traffic jams due to fender benders and empty gas tanks.  There is a temporary pedestrian/bicycle lane on the south side of the bridge that is already very popular.  Right now you can take it close to Yerba Buena Island but then you have to turn around and go back to the East Bay.  After the old span is demolished, a permanent lane will go all the way to Yerba Buena and Treasure Island.  Linked to Skywatch Friday.

10 comments:

  1. I like that you have thought of a bike lane ... In case of accident and / or fire whenever you can jump into the water. The important thing is to see the bikes and cyclists as users of the roads. A great bridge for a great means of transport such as cycling.
    An awesome photo, once again, we bring to your beautiful city.
    I'm glad.
    Brief greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also glad that there is a cycle path on the bridge. The construction design makes it an elegant modern bridge. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better late than never! I'm sure it will be well used. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to make a trip down to ride on the new bridge...wait...is it a toll bridge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. An amazing bridge, I think I saw it lit up when in SF in April.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bridge rebuild! I look forward to driving across it into the city of SF next time I am up that way. The old double decker always freaked me out a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's be sure to link this to Sunday Bridges!

    As you know, «Louis» has been very critical of the bureaucratic bungling, cost over-runs, further enrichment of the Pelosis, and the use of defective steel from China in this bridge. That said, it is a pleasure to drive - wider lanes and better views. No doubt the views will be even better when the old bridge is completely demolished. The steel from the old bridge is reportedly being sent to ...China...

    ReplyDelete
  8. As more and more people take to cycling and walking, it's important that bridges and roadways are designed to accommodate them. 24 years is a long time to have a bridge inoperable. I guess we shouldn't complain so much about the road construction which has jokingly become one of our "seasons' here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I ever get out to your neck of the woods I'll probably feel like I've been there before! Nice shot of the bridge, interesting shape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting website, i read it but i still have a few questions. shoot me an email and we will talk more becasue i may have an interesting idea for you. pliegos licitacion electronica

    ReplyDelete