Monday, June 21, 2010

late night snack

This is the 1/4 Lb. Giant Burger at High Street and MacArthur in the Laurel District.  The diamond at the far right should read "Shakes" but the light is burned out. 
 So is the huge neon sign that anchors the parking lot.  This local chain has at least four spots in Oakland that I'm aware of.  I previously posted the one on Telegraph Avenue in the Uptown area.  Interestingly, each spot has slightly different architecture and they are in varying states of repair.  But all shout "retro."  You expect waitresses on roller skates to come to your car to take orders.

13 comments:

  1. I could use a dog with fries right now...bit too far though. :) Excellent photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sign gives me the urge to belt out a few songs from Grease :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very atmospheric. Feels a bit like stepping back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top shot is quite dramatic! Love the colours and the sign too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old places like this, although I've been accused by family members of trying to do them in with retro hotdogs. Food just tastes better when it's accompanied by neon and diamonds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn, that is good lighting. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo, Carolyn! It reminds <> of a painting of an old grill - he can't remember the artist's name... Very moody shot. Just excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you use a time machine to take those?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to love this place back in the 1980's. I like those clouds in the top photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the sky is awesome here- it's such a photogenic spot, and you've really made it perfect!

    (this is my alterego- thanks so much for putting up the oakland murals link!!)

    ReplyDelete