Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday Mural: mural update

They are making progress on this mural previously posted back in March.  The water theme is related to Temescal Creek which now runs under ground.  They still have lots of pillars to go, but Alan (in the reflective vest) is hoping it will be completed by the end of June.  The local merchants association commissioned the work.  This neighborhood is being revitalized at an amazing pace.  I counted 11 restaurants in a block and a half stretch, all of which are popular and crowded.  Nice to witness the comeback.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful. My first question on seeing the pillars being decorated was, "Where is the money coming from?" Your answer sounds hopeful for the future. I've been posting empty shops lately and other premises lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am often awed by the tradition of mural painting in Oakland. It is good to see revitalization there. In the early 1990s, I thought it was so bad in West Hartford that they might as well just bulldoze it. Now it is a thriving and happening place. Places can turn around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to see one of these as a work in progress. I get the impression - based on no evidence, of course - that lots of this wall painting goes up surreptitiously in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this "mural in progress" shot. Super.

    ReplyDelete