Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Room and Board

This old building next to the Aloha bar looks like it's imploding.  It's a cautionary tale on what happens to wood when it remains neglected and unpainted.  One can barely make out the faded words Room and Board on the side of the building.  Since it is located in front of railroad tracks, I'm guessing it once was a rooming house that served railroad men and maybe travelers.  Looks like it was built before the 1906 earthquake.  Why it's still allowed to stand is anyone's guess.  Located at Fruitvale and San Leandro Blvd.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm with you: I can't believe this is still standing. How has it survived earthquakes, large and small? Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised it is still standing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic composition, so much to look at! The building looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that grass growing on the top?
    I like this scraggly old thing, it has character. And stamina!!

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very familiar. It turns out that what they call "The Hotel" here is on the same lot as the Aloha Club (Longest Bar and Coldest Beer in Town) and the chop shop next door. The whole property with all three buildings was in some kind of probate from when the old owner died, but I think the son now owns it and operates the bar. I love the painted on windows.

    ReplyDelete